Here is what I'm trying to achieve:
- I host my DNS on Cloudflare and to use their services my records need to be proxied.
- In order to use my VPS server to send mail A record that points to my mail server can't be proxied. So these are my records at Cloudflare:
A site.com => dedicated IP (proxied which enables me to use Cloudflare services)
A mail.site.com => server IP (not proxied which enables me to host email on my server)
MX site.com => mail.site.com
- Note that I deliberately used a different IP for the mail server (server's IP). Therefore I need to set custom mail IP and HELO in mailips & mailhelo cPanel configuration files:
site.com: server IP (this is a line from mailips file)
site.com: mail.site.com (this is a line from mailhelo file)
- When I go to cPanel > Email Deliverability > site.com interface to check my setup, it says that the SPF and DKIM are correctly set but not the PTR, which should be:
server IP.in-addr.arpa. => mail.site.com
- My question is where do I need to set PTR? Do I need to set it in the site.com's DNS zone, which is at Cloudflare or does it needs to be on the end of my hosting provider? Currently, in the SolusVM for my VPS server, the PTR for the server's IP I wish to use for the mail server is my server's hostname:
server IP.in-addr.arpa. => host.name.com
- I can set a custom IP (in mailips file) and HELO hostname (in mailhelo file) for each domain on my server to use for outgoing mail?
- I need to set a custom PTR for each domain that uses a custom set of IP and HELO hostname?