How to make MariaDB 10.11 available on supported OS?

spaceman

Mar 25, 2002
I notice on this page: https://support.cpanel.net/hc/en-us...ons-of-MySQL-and-MariaDB-does-cPanel-support-

...that MariaDB 10.11 is supported by cPanel on both AlmaLinux 8 and CloudLinux 8.

I've got one of each of the above servers (and other older ones too), but MariaDB 10.11 is not yet showing as available to upgrade to.

I'm running the latest cPanel 112.0.7 on both.

What do I have to do to have MariaDB 10.11 displayed on my AlmaLinux 8 and CloudLinux 8 servers? Run a script?

Thanks!

Last edited:

spaceman

Mar 25, 2002
Doh! I was clearly having a dyslexic senior moment!

I MEANT to type 10.11 not 11. Sorry! I've correct my typos now.

spaceman

Mar 25, 2002
Really? You consider MariaDB versions to be downgrades from (similar age) MySQL versions?

How "official" is that position? Just curious :)

"... during the acquisition of Sun Microsystems by Oracle, some of the senior engineers who were working on the development of MySQL felt that there was a conflict of interest between MySQL and Oracle’s commercial database - Oracle Database Server. As a result, these engineers created a fork of the MySQL code base and started their own organization. This is how MariaDB was born."

All our servers moved to MariaDB, inspired by the above.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I think the wording on that page just isn't ideal. I believe the "long-term" plan would be to make MariaDB the default, but at this time servers get installed with MySQL 8. If you have MySQL 8 installed, you can't upgrade to MariaDB, and the only way to get MariaDB on a new system is to use the installation customization options here:

Reactions: spaceman